Leaking transmission

knjake

As I was responding to "awesome mechanics" concerning leaking trans. topic I thought I'd start a new thread.... I have been having this same problem and here is what I found in talking to qualified trans folks; (a)trans. side cover is stamped aluminum,(B) side cover gasket is cork which has a tendency to seep (leak) ©when we get an oil change a well intentioned person draining the oil spots the oozing and applies a wrench to tighten and stop the leak, when in fact what has happened in the stanmped cover gets bent, pinched, torqued...apply your own description here...end result is a gasket that has just been damaged and its down hill from there!! Should that gasket need replaced the gear box must come out, if its and axel seal then just the shaft comes out. So I guess we have to watch(instruct)to be sure they don't tighten this cover or do oil changes ourselves. Later this week I'm having a new gasket installed frown.gif One other item to note from a prev post concerning balkey transmissions and the like....I had commented to someone who just purchased a Reatta with this problem and related on of my vehicles (1986 0lds ceria GT 3.8) with over 200,000 miles was giving me fits w/trans slipping etc. and used a "LUCAS" product in trans and it solved my problem.....WELL..its a temp fix and have been advised by more than one trans shop that this will last approx 10,000 miles and I will probably lose 3rd gear(says to shift man. and run out in 2nd then shift to 4th if 3rd goes) At 200,000plus car owes me zilch! Its going bye bye this week...I might add that these are really great cars,late 80's came in 2 & 4 drs w/3800 & roller lifters, if you can find a clean one.....not only can you LIGHT-UP the tires but you will leave a lot of people scratchin their head after you smoke'm!! Maybe that was my problem "boiling the hides" to much grin.gif Gettin back to biz @ hand, how in the hell can someone sell a product that is supposed to fix the problem then eats your trans....I suppose this has transended from used car dealers?????????????