215 Info

Guest John Chapman

Guest John Chapman

In an unusual coincidence, I've been asked by two different people what the bellhousing pattern is for the 215. <P>Is it the BOP pattern or the old Dynaflow pattern? Or... something else?<P><BR>Thanks,<BR>John

Was working for Buick when the 61 Special came out,also drove them over 14 years (I liked them,still do).The only engines I ever saw with that bolt pattern were 61-63, 215 & 62-63, 198.The aluminum engine, with modifications,showed up in England, "Rover" had a version,of which I know very little.

Guest John Chapman

I'm not certain that I've read your response correctly. I interpret your response to say the 215 has a unique bellhousing bolt pattern; is this correct?<P>Thanks,<BR>JMC

There is a gentleman in Michigan whose specialty is aluminum V8 s He has an on=going ad in "Old Cars".Hes is constantly buying bell-housings.I think he has a line on adaptors.He is probably very well-versed on the question you ask.The back of the 215 has two air openings to accomodate the air-cooled Dual-path transmission,Incidentally, Olds F 85 had essentially the same engine,and believe it or not,a few dozen? Pontiacs shared this block.In 1964,the BOP bolt pattern become a "Biggie"to hel interchange.

I suggest you contact Bruce Steinhaus in Flint, MI. Bruce is a walking expert on the 215 engine. His phone is 810-233-3961.<BR>Bruce also has a close friend who has rebuilt 100's of 215's and has gobs of parts.<BR>Best of luck.<BR>Bob Leets<BR>BCA #17041<BR>'62 Skylark convertible

The difinitive answer to your questions is "No". The Dynaflow bellhousing bolt pattern is NOT the same as the 215. The 215 shares it's bolt pattern with ONLY:<P>61-63 Olds F85 with 215<BR>61-63 Buick Special with 215 and V6 from those years only.<BR>61-62 Pontiac Tempest with 215<BR>66 to current Rover V8 (UK)<BR>73-74 Leyland P76 4.4L V8 (Australia only) <P>Hope that helps.<P>Greg

Ha! Y'know what's funny? You could literally pull the complete motor out of that Range Rover (along with the tranny) and plant that thing into a 63 Buick Special with barely any trouble. Fuel Injection and all! Anyway, if you're interested, theres a Yahoo group you could join to get more info.<BR> <A HREF="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/215V8" TARGET=_blank>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/215V8</A> <P>Go to the "Files" section of the group for a lot of useful pix. <P>Greg

Guest John Chapman

Greg,<P>Thanks. Toward the end of the new millinium, I may get my Yahoo account, email address and so forth straightened out. Until then, I don't have additional email addresses to throw at Yahoo to register again. I don't know what they did, but their performance snafu's have eclispsed Hogan's Goat.<P>JMC

Another side of this story, the SM versions of the 215 had two versions of bell- housings,one had a rather narrow bolt pattern(for three speed).then a version with wider bolt pattern(for four speed)