Tranny from a '65 fit my '60?

Guest miked

Does anyone know if a transmission from a '65 lesabre fit my '60 lesabre 364? I've found a '65 lesabre that is loaded with lots of good parts. but I need to know if the tranny (and possibly the rear end) will fit.(?) Any one need any parts? It's a 2dr. w/bucket seats and a console... car is from Tucson (is in Phoenix) (so the interior is shot.) But it's straight and complete.

Guest 70 Electra

Be aware that the 1960 Buick uses a "closed" torque tube drive arrangement. The 65, on the other hand uses the more conventional (at least nowadays) "open" driveline.<P>I imagine this would be a HUGE job to convert. Suggest you simply repair the tranny in the 1960, if you're inclined to keep the car. <P>As an editiorial comment, I believe the trans in a 65 LeSabre would be a "Super Turbine 300" 2-speed unit which is not worth the effort to put into a car even if it fits! If you were REALLY serious about converting a 60 to an open driveline, I'd think a THM 400 would be the way to go. Smooth, reliable, bulletproof, and available to FIT the nailhead 364.

Actually the dynaslow I have works fine, it should I just had it rebuilt at a fairly large expense. I don't mind a little cuttin' and weldin' to fit a rearend and rear suspension out of another car... what cars/years have a THM 400 that will fit my 364?

Scott, the bellhousing on the '65 mailhead will fit the 60. If it is a 401, I don't know. I think some Lesabres had the 300 some had the 401. <P><BR>miked, there are no bolt on ST400 (Buicks version of a TH400) for your 364. The bell housing will bolt up, but the crank is different and so is the starter. It is possible, but not easy. <P>If you were going to make the huge swap of the tranny and rear, I would just go with a 401/425 engine.

64,65,66 Nailheads in the Electra and Riv had a ST 400. The 65 and 66 were a variable pitch design. You will have to do some work to get it to fit a pre 1964 364, 401 or 425. The crank flange and cut out where the trans rides in the crank are larger on the pre 1964 engines. The flange will need to be trimed on the crank and you will need a bushing inside the crank end to support the trans end in the crank. You will need a post 63 flexplate as the ring gear is on the converter on the Dynaflow , and on the flexplate after 63. You could also enlarge the hole on the latter flexplate if you do not want to cut the crank flange down. It is also suggested that the rotating assembly be balanced to the new flexplate on the older engine. Carmen Faso had some of the bushings you will need. He is at (716) 693-4090. That is the least you are in for. Good luck in whatever you decide.