2bbl vs 4bbl question

JUSTIN

65 riv with rebuilt 401. stock. 8 MPG. eldebrock carb.<P>I am at a lost trying to get better mileage so I am taking shots in the dark. my latest is to disconnect the secondary on my carb. I took the little pin out of the linkage. I am testing to see if the secondaries are openning up too quickly.<P>can this hurt anything? I thought I would try this for a tank or 2.

Just a thought:<P>The first Caprice I had was getting 10mpg with the 100,000 mile 2bbl 400cid sb. I decided to put in a crower mileage cam with new lifters, edelbrock performer intake, double roller timing chain and gears (the original plastic one had two complete teeth left; it's amazing that the car even ran), holley 600cfm carb, hedmann headers, hei distributor with accel super coil, spring kit for advance, and cheap b & m shift kit (you know the one, drop the valve body, remove some check balls, drill a hole, add some gaskets, etc.) installed in the drive way. By the time I was done, I was getting 20mpg and the tires would spin when shifting from first to second and that was with highway gears. So, if you plan on keeping the car it may be worth your while to make the investment. Mind you sb chev parts are the cheapest parts going.<p>[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: Boat Slip ]