1950 Buick Special ENGINE PROBLEMS

Id like to see if anyone can help me solve a problem that 2 mechanics, which are good, could not. The car starts cold, run it for 5 minutes turn it off and it drags but still starts. the third time it wont at all. New condenser, coil, points etc on the car. I dont believe the starter is a problem. The COMPRESSION on the engine whih is supposed to be 114 according to MOTOR MANUEL is low. 1. 95 2.100 3.100 4. 90 5. 95 6. 105 7. 100 and 8. 35. The car only has 38,000 original miles with no prior problems. Whats going on??? Please help!!! frown.gif" border="0

You may be looking in the wrong place. If the timing is OK, you might want to check the starter. The straight eight starter was borderline when they were new. I have had mine rewound with extra coils on the armature and they work MUCH better . Check with a reputable starter rebuilder ,and see if they can't help you.

I agree with Joe. It sounds like your starter going out, or too small a diameter battery cable. 10-15 years ago, when I had little experience with 6-volt cars, I bought a '52 Pontiac that had exactly the same warm starting problem that you are talking about. The problem was that the previous owner had put 12-volt cables on it, which are about 1/3rd the size of proper 6-volt cables. The starter was not getting all of the voltage it was entitled to out of that 6-volt battery through the narrow 12-volt cables. Replaced the cables with big 6-volt ones, and I never had another starting problem with that wonderful old Pontiac straight 8. The difference was like night and day.<P>Pete Phillips<BR>BCA #7338<BR>Ector, Texas