1970 Battery Cable Question

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

I was looking under my 70 Electra tonight and noticed for the first time that the original positive battery cable has an odd feature. <P>As it is routed along the side of the engine block, it goes through what appears to be a rubber insulator. The rubber piece is about a foot long and maybe 3/4" by 3/4" in cross section. The rubber piece is retained to the engine by a sheet metal shield (heat shield?)<P>I'm assuming the rubber thing is some kind of insulator. My question is, does anyone know if the cable is MOLDED to the rubber piece, or will the rubber piece slide out so it can be reused?<P>Reason I'm asking is that I'd like to replace the cable (Prior owner allowed the dealer to cut off dirty spring ring ends and bolt on one of those cheesy universal terminals). <P>I can't imagine I'd be able to find the EXACT cable with the rubber thingee, but I'm sure I can come up with a new spring ring of the correct length. I'd like to re-use the rubber insulator. Can it be done???

Hi Greg<BR>The black plastic is molded to the cable and was to be an insulator. I can be removed but wont be able to be reused.<BR>If you want an original cable, spring ring w/ the molded insulator part, contact me, I have a NEW original one.<BR>This cable was used from 1967, B & C vehicles to 1970, and the GS 455 1970.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com