'37 248 str-8: What spark plugs and Why (or Why Not)?

Hi,<BR> My '37 248 engine (installed in my '40 Special) has Autolite #46 plugs. Is there a better choice? Any "Spark Plug Disaster" stories regarding a '37 248?<BR> Thanks<BR> RB40Buick

I have only been working on Buicks since 1940,I was Service Rep for a few years then,Training Center Instructor until I retired.I have seen name brand plugs lose their porcelain down into the combustion chamberm,I have seen name brand plugs,using their application chart,blow pistons.On an AC plug,per example,a 46 plug has i4 mm threads,an 86 plug has 18 mm threads.6,being the heat range.Some V8 s used 44 s,and 45 s We had a real good year at the drag strip in 66,we used AC 42C.I have said this many times so once again-- "The average Buick that blows a piston,has something other than the AC plugs called for in the manual"If you quote me on this,be sure you spell my name right.Kindest regards to you and all other fine people who own Buicks

Most 37s had 18MM plugs and the early 14MM used in straight eights were 48s ,but they are almost impossible to find. They were used because they were hot plugs . The fuels of today and the fact that we have higher speed roads means that you can run the colder plugs without worrying. I run AC 46 plugs in my 40-56C and have had no problem with them at all ,and I have driven it 90,000 miles +

The 37 engine uses an 18 mm plug and the C86 is a commercial plug that will do the job nicely. Your original post had info on a 46 plug and I assumed( something a person should never do) that your 37 had a later head,which would take the 14mm plug. I'm sorry if I confused you,but I read the post wrong. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Hi again,<BR>Thanks for all the good advice! But now, to find "AC-46" does not seem easy. I went down to my trusty NAPA guy, and his application book (yes, BOOK, not computer) shows AC number "C86" as the correct application for all '37 Buick engines. So, I ordered 8. Anyone else agree or disagree with the book? <P>I'm taking an educated guess that the "6" in "C86" may represent the heat range. <P>Any more ideas? Thanks again.<BR>Randy (BCA #9592)

• 2 weeks later...