Need help with a model year.

Guest yonahrr

Guest yonahrr

I bought a DB touring off the internet. It was supposed to be a 1917 and may very well be. On first sight, I thought I'd been screwed, but as I got deeper into the teardown, I discovered it was quite a car. The engine had good compression and the starter actually worked, plus the all steel body was easy to repair. I think it'll make a good one. One question: can any one tell me the real year. Both the body and chassis numbers are 677832.

Jerry Singer

Guest imported_RAH

Jerry,

It would be quite illogical for the body number to be coincident with the car's chassis number. Not impossible, just quite improbable. In any event the number stated, If it is the chassis number would have been built in Jan. '22 and would be considered a '22 series. There are quite a few obvious differences between a '17 and a '22. The '17 would have the rear fenders fastened to the side of the body on curved angle irons whereas the '22 would have the rear fenders inset into notches in the side of the body. The '17 would have a vertical windshield and the '22 would have a slanted one. The radiator and shell on the '17 is several inches shorter than a '22. The upholstry in a '17 would be diamond tufted while the '22 would have vertical pleats. The battleship linoleum on a '17 is tan while the '22 would be grey. These are just a few of the more obvious differences. I hope this helps some.

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest yonahrr

Thanks. Very interesting! The rear fenders are inset into the body, however the windshield is definitely vertical. There is no upholstery. Remnants of the linoleum look gray. It has no outside door handles. I double checked the #'s. The plate on the floorboard (if that's the body #) matches the chassis. Can you give me the height of the radiator? Is there anything else I can check? Maybe I own a composite.

Jerry

Guest imported_RAH

Vern,

I beg to differ. My data shows the switch to grey linoleum on Closed cars as early as 1917, and with the redesigned Touring body in 1919 the switch was completed on all models. If you have documentation to the contrary I would appreciate having a look. Thanks!

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

How about your engine number? It ought to be about 50,000 higher than your frame/toe-plate number. Regarding that number, the numbers you are finding to be the same on the frame and toe-plate are actually the car's serial number. The "body" number is stamped on the firewall somewhere and will not agree with the frame number, as Rodger is saying. You are OK having the toe-plate number and frame number the same. Now we need your engine number to help determine what you have here. Get a copy of "The Dodge Story" for a photo reference that may help you decide what you have. Beware that this book has many errors in the text, but the photos are good reference.