Plastic restoration - Paint or Dye? Need advice...

Guest 1965cat

Guest 1965cat

I have the plastic components (glovebox cover, seatbelt retractor covers, etc) from my 65 Wildcat conv. that are faded and need refinished. This is my first attempt at a "garage" restoration and I have heard you can spray them with paint that is made for plastic or use a dye that can be rubbed? or sprayed on... What would give me the best results or are there other options? Keep in mind, this is the first time I will try this..

Thanks,

Mark

BCA 37236

Guest 70 Electra

Go to a automotive paint store and get some SEMS brand interior paint. It's real thin and watery and is used "as-is"(without thinner). It can be made to standard interior colors (if the shop has listings for your car) or custom tinted to match a part. Use a standard automotive spray gun....if you have a small one, like for door jambs, that works even better.

Fog the stuff on lightly, to avoid filling the grain. Because it's so thin, it works well for this.

Make sure to clean the part THOROUGHLY first, with Prep-Sol or some other wax (silicone) and grease remover.

Good Luck!

Guest John Chapman

To go a step further, the SEM products are available in aerosol cans. They are the professional product of choice. Best source is probably an upholstery supplier, not a body shop or parts store.

They have a full line of material that you'll need, paint, dye, cleaner, plastic prep, etc.

http://www.semproducts.com/

Cheers,

John