Electric is out on my car

Shakadula

Driving 100 miles from home on Saturday and the head-lights, tail-lights, interior lights go out and the gas gauge reads empty and convt top won't go up. Wipers are dead too. Had a hell of a storm Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, I replaced the voltage regulator. Didn't work. I heard something about fusable links at the starter. I have never seen a fusable link but understand it is really a wire that is higher in guage than the main wires going to the starter. I am having a hard time exposing these wires so I can repair with a splice. Do I have to remove the starter motor? Any tips if my problem is not the fusable link? Also, the car starts and runs fine although all of the lights are out except for the OIL and GEN light. They stay on. They even come on when the car is off and I open the door. This is nuts.

Thanks,

I have seen some pretty goofy things happen on a car due to simple wiring problems but I have to admit yours takes the cake. Did you do anything to the car prior to driving it, even a wrong bulb will cause some nifty problems. I am assuming you have checked your fuses, by pulling it out and using an ohmmeter, visual checks are no good. Also, make sure everything is properly grounded, juice must go in and be able to come out. Hope this helps.

Yeah I check everything I can think of. I started the car and then disconnected the positive battery cable and the car died. New alternator I guess. I think that I have two issues. BAd alternator and I suppose the fusable links. Still need help with the links. Anyone?

Your alternator may not be bad. The only cars you can start and run without a battery are cars that have generators! Alternators depend on electrical current from your battery to power your electrical such as the coil and spark plugs. Generators do not need battery power, therefore disconnectiong a battery once the car is started won't affect it. I still say you need to check your fuses, ones under the dash.

• 2 months later...

Glad to hear ya nailed it! We once changed 3 alternators and 4 batteries on a Chevy (kept overcharging the battery) only to find the problem was a ground wire going from the air cleaner to the fender (yes I know thats a weird wire) They only did this in 74-75. I hate electical problems too!!