24 DB: Cant get rear springs off

Grrrrr...I cant get the leaf springs off the rear axle on my 24 DB roadster. The axle U-bolts will not move, even with the weight of the car on it and hitting the bolts with a brass hammer. Should I cut the bolts off (I have another set of bolts and axle saddles)? Any other ideas? Is this a common problem with these cars? I'm taking the springs off because the car leans about 2 inches to the left and I suspect a broken leaf. Many thanks to the brothers for your help.

Don't cut 'em yet! Take a look at them for a locking plate that fits over both nuts or one over each. It may be buried in the grease or yuck accumulated. These were used on the "bone" shackles at the 3/4 elliptical springs so they may have a set on the saddle bolts as well. DB used some very interesting bolt locking devices. If there isn't a "lock" on the nut them "PB" or "Knock-it-Loose" type stuff will work. Or carefully heat the nut to just below glowing then let it cool and try the wrench (the heat breaks the rust very well) Good luck, tom

Hi Tom- Thanks for your reply. I can get the nuts off, but the U-bolts will not move. Do you think something else may still be locking the U-bolts in place? Thanks again, Gus