tech details about crankshaft

Edwin

I'm having a problem. I did have a crankshaft shipped to me for a 1955 plymouth V8 (P27) but it's the WRONG CRANKSHAFT. What I'm trying to find out is to what car does this crankshaft belong to.

On the plymouth forum I did find out the crank should belong to/fit a 1956 Dodge CoronetTexan, 1956 Royal and Custom Royal, 56 V8 w/4bbl exc D500, 1958 Dodge Coronet & Royal exc D500.

The casting number on the crank is 1739538.

Is there anyone who can tell me the exact (nominal + grinding) dimensions of these mentioned cars so I can compair them to the crank I have.

Thanks Edwin.

Edwin, I cannot give you that information but I may know where you can find it. I think it is in the Motor Manual for that period, perhaps the 1962 edition would do, and that should be available at your local library. I hope that helps a little. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Randal, Thankyou for your replay. I cannnot get to that information because I live in The Netherlands. My local lib. does not have those tech. manuals.

Is there a Dodge club covering 1955-1960 where I can ask?

OOPS..my bad. Sorry about that! Well there is a Dodge Brothers Club in this forum site, and I suspect that you could post the question in the AACA Tech Questions area. Also, because they are so responsive, you might try the Packard Club here in this forum site. The CCCA folks might help too. I have asked all sorts of questions that generate information. I hope that helps.

Edwin,

Following Randall's suggestion, the 1957 edition of MOTOR'S Manual has the following dimensional data:

'56 Dodge Coronet V8

Main Bearing Journal= 2.3745-2.3755

Rod Bearing Journal=1.9365-1.9375

Stroke= 3.256

'56 Dodge Royal & D500

Main Bearing Journal=2.499-2.500

Rod Bearing Journal=2.2495-2.2505

Stroke= 3.80

This book also shows the stroke and journal dimensions on the '55 Plymouth engine to be nominally the same as the '56 Dodge Coronet.

Maybe you got lucky after all?

Tom D.