Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 7 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel

Correcting autocorrect

This is a great topic! There was so much going on back then by so many different manufacturers. Straight eights were available as you know in many configurations from Flathead to pushrod OHV to single and dual overhead cam. 

I'll start with the Duesenberg model J, as I have personally rebuilt one. It was incomparable, nothing else was in the same league. Besides the dual overhead cam, four valve per cylinder technology, everything else in it was of an extraordinarily high standard. The original Duesenberg Pistons were so light, even the modern Forged aluminum Pistons that are being sold as replacements today weigh 30% more. The aluminum I-beam rods were also very lightweight. Full pressure oiling with a full flow oil filter and a pressure adjustment that was externally accessible so you could open the hood and adjust it if need be. The oil goes through two separate screens before reaching the oil pump pickup sump, and oil drag on the crankshaft is reduced by a full length windage tray. The cast aluminum oil pan is finned on the outside and the inside to help cool the oil.

The fully machined, counter weighted, forged steel crankshaft was a work of art with every surface on it machined and gleaming like chrome. It also had two large vials bolted to the crankshaft that were 95% filled with mercury, acting as a very effective vibration damper and balancer. 

There is two separate timing chains, they are about 2 and 1/2 to 3 in wide. Each one is kept tight by automatic adjusters. The adjusters have a clock spring to apply tension, but there is also a series of latching pins arranged in a vernier configuration that prevents the adjuster from going backwards once the spring tension has advanced it a notch. 

It seems to have been assembled with each bolt hole being precision, reamed and tapped. If you take, for example the front cover or the cam covers and loosen the bolts, even take all of them out except two, you cannot wiggle the cover fore and aft or side to side. Everything is fitted with great precision. 

I could go on and on.

Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel

This is a great topic! There was so much going on back then by so many different manufacturers. Straight eights were available as you know in many configurations from Flathead to pushrod OHV to single and dual overhead cam. 

I'll start with the Duesenberg model J, as I have personally rebuilt one. It was incomparable, nothing else was in the same league. Besides the dual overhead cam, four valve per cylinder technology, everything else in it was of an extraordinarily high standard. The original Duesenberg Pistons were so light, even the modern Forged aluminum Pistons that are being sold as replacements today weigh 30% more. The aluminum I-beam rods were also very lightweight. Full pressure oiling with a full flow oil filter and a pressure adjustment that was externally accessible so you could open the hood and adjust it if need be. The oil goes through two separate screens before reaching the oil pump pickup sump, and oil drag on the crankshaft is reduced by a full length windage tray. The cast aluminum oil pan is finned on the outside and the inside to help cool the oil.

The fully machined, counter weighted, forged steel crankshaft was a work of art with every surface on it machined and gleaming like chrome. It also had two large vials bolted to the crankshaft that were 95% filled with mercury, acting as a very effective vibration damper and balancer. 

There is two separate timing chains, they are about 2 and 1/2 to 3 in wide. Each one is kept tight by automatic adjusters. The adjusters have a clock spring to apply tension, but there is also a series of latching pins arranged in a vernier configuration that prevents the adjuster from going backwards once the spring tension has advanced it a notch. 

It seems to have been assembled with each bolt hole being precision, reamed and tapped. If you take, for example the front cover or the cam covers and loosen the bolts, even take all of them out. Except two, you cannot wiggle the cover fore and aft or side to side. Everything is fitted with great precision. 

I could go on and on.