Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 7 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Riviera63

Riviera63

1 hour ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Bill, I had the same problem years back - no wipers!   While waiting for a repair, I used 'Rain-X' generously on the windshield to bead up and repel the rain while driving.  It worked pretty good!  Not really a substitute for wipers, esp. at slow speeds, but rather effective at higher speeds as long as the rain isn't torrential.

Alex,

Good info. I do try to keep my glass as slick as possible. I use a clay bar on all of my glass a couple of times a year. This really gets the glass smooth. Hard to believe how many contaminants are on there even though the glass is cleaned regularly. The detailer I use to keep my car clean is really good as well on glass and chrome. That gives the glass a Rain-X like slickness. The problem I had was not that the wipers won't work it was that they would not shut off. I went for 4 or 5 years without getting caught in the rain. That ended last fall twice where I had to turn the wipers on because the rain was really heavy. Thankfully, the wipers did turn off then. I got caught a couple of times again this fall. Wipers shut off again. I did change the wiper switch in that period after I had the initial problem with them not shutting off. Maybe that had something to do with them shutting off again. It is still a little weird as they don't shut off immediately. They will run for a while after I turn the switch off and then decide to stop.

Bill

Riviera63

Riviera63

51 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Bill, I had the same problem years back - no wipers!   While waiting for a repair, I used 'Rain-X' generously on the windshield to bead up and repel the rain while driving.  It worked pretty good!  Not really a substitute for wipers, esp. at slow speeds, but rather effective at higher speeds as long as the rain isn't torrential.

Alex,

I do try to keep my glass as slick as possible. I use a clay bar on all of my glass a couple of times a year. This really gets the glass smooth. Hard to believe how many contaminants are on there even though the glass is cleaned regularly. The detailer I use to keep my car clean is really good as well on glass and chrome. That gives the glass a Rain-X like slickness. The problem I had was not that the wipers won't work it was that they would not shut off. I went for 4 or 5 years without getting caught in the rain. That ended last fall twice where I had to turn the wipers on because the rain was really heavy. Thankfully, the wipers did turn off then. I got caught a couple of times again this fall. Wipers shut off again. I did change the wiper switch in that period after I had the initial problem with them not shutting off. Maybe that had something to do with them shutting off again. It is still a little weird as they don't shut off immediately. They will run for a while after I turn the switch off and then decide to stop.

Bill