Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 7 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Pfeil

Pfeil

On 9/18/2024 at 7:05 AM, KURTRUK said:

Emissions are harder to control on a manual transmissions. FED doesn't like that.

Automatic transmissions now have so many "gears" to keep them in near-perfect speed-to-gear ratios resulting in better mileage. Topped by the unreliable CVTs.

Much more stop-and-go traffic during commutes.  Agree, it's a pain after a few miles.

Too hard to shift while holding a Starbucks and a phone. But I've seen it done. Even harder if you smoke.

Agree with most of what you said. Emission control has just about everything to do with the non-choice of a M/T. On my 2019 truck 5 speed auto with lock up in 4th and 5th when new, I had after about a month of improper shift timing before I took the pan down and removed the TCM (Yes, the TCM is inside the trans) to re-flash it for better timed shifts and 4th gear lock up elimination. I still have connections to the factory after being retired after 18 years. FYI the ratios are great, but they want you in top gear too soon for emissions and 4th gear doesn't need the converter to lock up, only 5th needs it at speeds above 65 mph.  

My disagreement lies with CVT being reliable. 150,000 miles plus without trouble if you don't hot rod the car, make sure the early ones have proper oil coolers, use proper CVT fluid, 20,000-mile fluid changes (just the sump/never flush) 4 quarts in my cars case.

Charlie Chayne (Buick chief engineer and champion of Dynaflow) would have loved these CVT transmissions because they accomplish everything he tried to do but couldn't with Dynaflow, Flight Pitch Dynaflow, Dual Path Dynaflow.     

Pfeil

Pfeil

On 9/18/2024 at 7:05 AM, KURTRUK said:

Emissions are harder to control on a manual transmissions. FED doesn't like that.

Automatic transmissions now have so many "gears" to keep them in near-perfect speed-to-gear ratios resulting in better mileage. Topped by the unreliable CVTs.

Much more stop-and-go traffic during commutes.  Agree, it's a pain after a few miles.

Too hard to shift while holding a Starbucks and a phone. But I've seen it done. Even harder if you smoke.

Agree with most of what you said. Emission control has just about everything to do with the non-choice of a M/T. On my 2019 truck 5 speed auto with lock up in 4th and 5th when new, I had after about a month of improper shift timing before I took the pan down and removed the TCM (Yes, the TCM is inside the trans) to re-flash it for better timed shifts and 4th gear lock up elimination. I still have connections to the factory after being retired after 18 years. FYI the ratios are great, but they want you in top gear too soon for emissions and 4th gear doesn't need the converter to lock up, only 5th needs it at speeds above 65 mph.  

My disagreement lies with CVT being reliable. 150,000 miles plus without trouble if you don't hot rod the car, make sure the early ones have proper oil coolers, use proper CVT fluid, 20,000-mile fluid changes (just the sump/never flush) 4 quarts in my cars case.

Charlie Chayne would have loved these CVT transmissions because they accomplish everything he tried to do but couldn't with Dynaflow, Flight Pitch Dynaflow, Dual Path Dynaflow.