Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 7 days are pruned and will no longer show here
1912Staver

1912Staver

19 hours ago, BobinVirginia said:

I still think a truck should be setup like a locomotive. A small efficient diesel driving a genset with electric wheel motors. Pull anything and be efficient. 

Not really done for outright efficency. This arrangement lets the prime mover run at its optimum RPM, and the drive motors produce at a much lower RPM without the use of a reduction gear box. But there are lots of energy losses. Mechanical and thermal.  

1912Staver

1912Staver

I still think a truck should be setup like a locomotive. A small efficient diesel driving a genset with electric wheel motors. Pull anything and be efficient. 

Not really done for outright efficency. This arrangement lets the prime mover run at its optimum RPM, and the drive motors produce at a much lower RPM without the use of a reduction gear box. But there are lots of energy losses. Mechanical and thermal.  Modern VFD 's help with efficency to a significant degree, but this type of drive was developed long before VFD's were available

1912Staver

1912Staver

Not really done for outright efficency. This arrangement lets the prime mover run at its optimum RPM, and the drive motors produce at a much lower RPM without the use of a reduction gear box. But there are lots of energy losses. Mechanical and thermal.