Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 7 days are pruned and will no longer show here
Frank DuVal

Frank DuVal

Yes, I know several electricians around here that install level 2 circuits for homeowners. Fed with 60 amp breaker and limited to 48 amps by the charger, hardwired charger, not plug into the 50 amp receptacle. If that receptacle is used, then limit the draw (in the controls) to 40 amps and all will be well (circuit/receptacle/plug wise). Drawing 50 amps through a 50 amp NEMA rated receptacle for hours is not wise, there will be heating. Note, talking about charger being hardwired, the charger does have a plug/cord to connect to the EV. 😉

We might agree on one thing. If one needs a level 3 charger at home, then the EV was not the best choice. 1 hour or less for full charge is not the typical EV need on daily trips. 

Level 3 is only recommended for 480 volt services in commercial situations, like the fuel station or commercial garage. Level 3 on 240 single phase is a questionable application. One of those well, it can be done, but is it wise?🤔

BTW, where is there only 3 charging stations built? Seems like every Sheetz and Wawa around here have at least 6 chargers.

I see Teslas everywhere and Rivans also, plus all the other normal makes. But, I have not noticed an electric F-150, maybe because it looks just like the other 50 Ford pickups I see every mile? I say the electric F-150 is for the typical person who wants a 4 door full frame sedan with a wet trunk, like 90% of the other pick ups here. What? put something in the bed or tow something? And scratch it?????🤣🤣

Frank DuVal

Frank DuVal

Yes, I know several electricians around here that install level 2 circuits for homeowners. Fed with 60 amp breaker and limited to 48 amps by the charger, hardwired charger, not plug into the 50 amp receptacle. If that receptacle is used, then limit the draw (in the controls) to 40 amps and all will be well (circuit/receptacle/plug wise). Drawing 50 amps through a 50 amp NEMA rated receptacle for hours is not wise, there will be heating. Note, talking about charger being hardwired, the charger does have a plug/cord to connect to the EV. 😉

We might agree on one thing. If one needs a level 3 charger at home, then the EV was not the best choice. 1 hour or less for full charge is not the typical EV need on daily trips. 

Level 3 is only recommended for 480 volt services in commercial situations, like the fuel station or commercial garage. Level 3 on 240 single phase is a questionable application. One of those well, it can be done, but is it wise?🤔

There might be an EV in my future, maybe in 15 years when they are cheap, as I hardly ever buy a car less than 15 years old or less than 100K miles! 200K is a nice sweet spot for cheap and still useable.😁