248, 263 straight 8 parts interchange, what can I use?

37sedan_mod47

Can anyone give a quick rundown of what years and models of engine parts will interchange with other years and models? In other words, will the later con rods with bearing inserts work in an earlier engine without any major machining required, other than grinding the crank? Will pistons from a '40s era 248 work in a 30's era 248? What about cylinder head interchangeability?

I have a 1937 Special with the original 248. I would like to keep the original block and possibly cylinder head but swap in newer rods with the replaceable bearings. I have also purchased a set of .030 over high comp. pistons for a '40s era 248. I would assume that they would work in my '37 once bored to size, correct?

Is there any significant differences (combustion chamber volume/valve size/port size) between my '37 head and say a head from a later 248 or 263?

I can get a 1950 Special 248 engine very reasonable. Would this engine have the insert type rod bearings or would I have to get a 263 for these?

Thanks in advance for your help.

THE 37 HAS FLAT TOP PISTONS,IN 38 THEY WENT TO PISTON WITH A BUILD-UP ON THE TOP AND CALLED THE ENGINE "DYNAFLASH',THEN IN 41,THEY CAME OUT WIH THE "FIREBALL".tHE COMBUSTION CHAMBER WAS PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THROUGH THE 50 (40 SERIES WITH 248 ENGINE) THE 50 248 ENGINE HAS INSERT RODS WHICH WILL RETRO-FIT BACK TO 37