1919 dodge brothers 30 touring ignition issue

After the cars been running a few minutes. The ignition seems to get hot and losing contact drops from 12 V to 6 V going to the coil believe that the ignition needs to be rebuilt wondering if there’s anyone out there that does these kind of services.

IMG_1971.jpeg

That is how it should work, going from 12 to about 6 volts. If you ran at full 12 volts all the time you would overheat the coil or burn out the points. Are you using an original coil or modern?  If modern, you may have a dropping resister between the switch and coil that drops the voltage as it gets hot. What part gets hot? The coil will get warm but should not be blistering hot to the touch. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

example I drive it one mile from my home to a friends house to show off the car and it will not restart I have to let it sit over night (about 12 hours ) and it starts right up 

when I test power at the coil after it sits there is 12 volts at the coil when I turn off the car and try and restart it’s only getting 6-7 volts on bolts sides of the coil.and 6-7 volts coming out of the back of the ignition switch. It’s is currently running a modern coil but the original one is there