Switched 12V power

I'm installing throttle body injection on my 71 Riviera and the instructions call for a switched 12 volt power source that stays on when you crank the engine. (I assume so that the computer can fire the injectors during cranking.) <P>I can't think of any power source that fits this description. Am I looking at some custom wire work??? <P>Tomsriv

Does your car have an electric choke? If yes, there's your wire. Some accessories, like the radio, also use switched 12V, but are off during cranking. Maybe the turn signal feed wire? Heater fan? Wipers? Get a shop manual and look at the wiring diagram, or use a voltmeter to find the correct wire. I would look at the shop manual and the circuits leaving from ignition sw, labelled "IGN ON & CRANK". <BR>I have to disagree with the Old Guy, though. You're right that the positive coil wire, in many cases, has less than 12 volts at the coil end. So that one is out of question. But I would say that it's got power even during cranking, however the wire from the solenoid is used to by-pass the ballast resistor, providing "hotter" spark during cranking. I may be wrong, though.

I thought ppl with Pertronix setups would run a new wire from the IGN terminal on the fuse block to the coil in order to bypass the resistor and get 12v. If that's true, wouldn't that also be 'hot' during cranking in order to start the engine? If true, then the coil would work, no?<P>uncivilized has one also, just run straight from the starter.<P>maybe I'm wrong, never listen to someone who is taking 3 weeks to install a stereo. lol<P>Best of luck!<P>-S

Wow! sounds like I have as many different things to check as there are responses.<P>Thanks for the imput!<P>The wiring diagram isn't very clear, thats why I asked you guys smile.gif" border="0