Edit History

Please note that revisions older than 7 days are pruned and will no longer show here
1965rivgs

1965rivgs

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

Good Luck Chris. I ordered an aftermarket condenser when doing 66 and sent it back. It would have fit (sort of) and functioned but it did not look like the original. Of course the 65 condenser is a lot different so hopefully yours will be OK.

At the ROA tech session Winston McCullom mentioned there being a internal design difference between condenser designed for R12 and R134A. The 134A specifically having a design that makes them more efficient for 134A. 

After all this time I never heard or was aware of the condenser design being relative to R12 or 134A.

So have to wonder are these repop condensers internally designed like the OEM R12 or are they built for 134A  

Yes, what Winston related is true re condensor design. I assume developmental steps were made toward a more efficient condensor design in the first couple of years after the intro of R134.

In my experience, I have a '96 Suburban equipped with R134 that has been acceptable in operation since new. But my '03 Escalade has always blown ice cubes since new and still does at 350 K miles of brutal service.  

The Suburban required many service repairs, mostly for corrosion related issues, but I've basically never touched the refrigerant system on the Escalade. A testament to " if it ain't broke, don't fix it".    

GM engineering was surely paying alot of attention to hvac systems during the period immediately after the intro of R134.

Tom

1965rivgs

1965rivgs

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

Good Luck Chris. I ordered an aftermarket condenser when doing 66 and sent it back. It would have fit (sort of) and functioned but it did not look like the original. Of course the 65 condenser is a lot different so hopefully yours will be OK.

At the ROA tech session Winston McCullom mentioned there being a internal design difference between condenser designed for R12 and R134A. The 134A specifically having a design that makes them more efficient for 134A. 

After all this time I never heard or was aware of the condenser design being relative to R12 or 134A.

So have to wonder are these repop condensers internally designed like the OEM R12 or are they built for 134A  

Yes, what Winston related is true re condensor design. I assume developmental steps were made toward a more efficient condensor design in the first couple of years after the intro of R134.

In my experience, I have a '96 Suburban equipped with R134 that has been acceptable in operation since new. But my '03 Escalade has always blown ice cubes since new and still does at 350 K miles of brutal service. The Suburban required many service repairs, mostly for corrosion related issues, but I've basically never touched the refrigerant system on the Escalade. A testament to " if it ain't broke, don't fix it".     GM engineering was surely paying alot of attention to hvac systems during the period immediately after the intro of R134.

Tom