For Sale: 1937-39 Packard Twelve wheel-three stripe

37PackardMan

I have this wheel which I believe to be from a 1937-39 Packard Twelve. It is in very good condition.

It is approximately 17.5" in diameter and approximately 7" wide.

You can see the 3 trim rings, which are more characteristic of the '38-39, I believe.

I'll take $385 plus shipping from 77406.

Please ask questions...and thanks for looking.

Bob

ThePackardMan@gmail.com

20240515_113832.jpg

20240515_113659.jpg

20240429_163223(1).jpg

20240429_163507.jpg

20240429_163624.jpg

I am fascinated by one of the photos - looks like there is a major crack partially around the flange on that wheel.   Given how brutally tough and heavy Packard Twelves are,  i wonder what kind of "loads" it took  (assuming that is not just an error in photo transfer...?) to do that.  Would love to know the story behind that.

And please, folks...dont start in about radial tires and their use on pre-war wheels.  Yes, there may be an argument not to use radials on many cheaper pre-war cars.   But on a "Senior Division" Packard?   Get serious - Packard "over-spec'd" those wheels from the once famous MOTOR RIM AND WHEEL company.   

What do I know about it?   I bought my Packard Twelve when i was in high school in '57.   Been beating the #$((**@  out of it ever since.   (who says it isn't a heck of a lot of fun to "drift" a Packard Twelve....!)   Been using radials on it since radials became avail.  (a "off-the-shelf"  7:50 x 16" truck radial is so close in size and diameter to the orig. 8:25 x 16"....it works well.  If the wheels dont fall off between now and Fall '24, you will see it at the SAN MARINO MOTOR CLASSIC (along with LOTS of other Packard Twelves with radial tires...!)

Posted (edited)

btw, if you magnify that image a bit, you'll see that it is a piece of residual rubber sheeting still adhered to the rim, not a crack...a putty knife will scrape it off until it is fully cleaned up for restoration.

This rim is not mine, so I'm not marketing it.

It is odd that you immediately accuse no-one of "starting in"...just to bait someone into an argument? Hopefully not.

...as an engineer, all tires have their reasons/vintages (why they were designed to satisfy the mix of technical, material and manufacturing challenges at that time), their performance sweet spots and usages. People who are obsessive about originality can get stock tires and be happy (and hopefully they are new enough to be safe to put a 5800 lb behemoth onto them) and those who like evolved designs can benefit from the attributes designed into the next-gen tires. Remember, solid or "gel filled" tires (one of the first design styles) are still used in combat and high puncture environments.

Glad you were smart enough as a teen to "go Packard" and have enjoyed a lifetime with your chariot.

Edited by DM37 (see edit history)

Yes, that is just something stuck to the wheel.

I scraped it off.

Here's another pic.

20240525_135156.jpg