'60 Buick Invicta heater valve replacement

Drakeule

All:

As promised, I wanted to give steps on disassembly of the heater box , as I feel the manual does not explain it very well.

First, access the air inlet assembly on the passenger side of the firewall (picture in manual.) Remove the air flow control assembly (first pic below), with its vacuum hose and electrical connections. Now is a good time to remove the heater hoses too.

The box itself is removed with 6 nuts, exposing the heater core to you. Next, go inside the car and remove the valance (2 screws on either end come out and just loosen the 3 on the bottom of the dash; unit sides to the side to come out.) You the can drop the metal heater box by taking the driver side screw out (hard to get to, back behind the box and cables.) Notice my last picture of the opposite end of the box. It is supposed to fasten to the firewall, but that notch is NOWHERE NEAR the tapped hole! So, it doesn't actually hold the heater box to the firewall.

Go figure!

Now, you have to dissconnect the heater control valve (accessed by the little door on the face of the box.) The control cable for the defroster (on top) and the rear heater duct assembly (on the floor, held by 2 screws) needs to come out too. Lastly, disconnect the defroster hoses (no fun, they get stuck.) Take out the monstrosity called the heater box.

I highly suggest that you peel the passenger side carpet back and remove the jute underlayment, then place old towels and /or plastic, as the coolant will drip out.

You are now looking at the  heater box (pic 5.) Remove the box from the heater core frame by 8-10 small sheet metal screws (I removed these while the box was under the dash, but I didn't know any better; so much for Buick's great [i.e., lack of] directions!) Frame is removed from the core itself by 4 screws (pic 4.)

Picture 3 is the core in all its glory,with valve attached; 3 small screws and it's off. NOTE: you must use a new O ring with the new (or rebuilt) heater valve, or it will leak.

My replacement was an Everhot from Ebay .It didn't look exactly the same, but it works. There are rebuild services available; I just didn't want to wait!

Hope this helps. Feel free to write me with questions if you are blessed enough to have to do this, ha ha. The Buick manual instructions now make perfect sense to me.... now that I've done it!

IMG_0749.jpg.412f8a5e8b38aafe9527c8c075cb0543.jpg 

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1