1924 Sport Single 8, Muffler Dimensions

pack24

Dear Packard Friends.

I'm urgently looking for the dimensions for the muffler of my 1924 Packard Single 8 (Sport Phaeton 136). I asked about all the options that I knew of and that were mentioned to me by members in the Packard forums. Unfortunately, even the well-known museums and administrators of blue prints on Packard vehicles have no data on my 1924 8-cylinder model.

There is someone who has this data. But because he rebuilds and sells this silencer himself, he cannot release the dimensions because he is afraid that some 75-year-old dummy in Germany could pass on this data and sales for the sale of this !924-1926 component could at least collapse and so on Its sales/profits are at risk. Of course I understand that. But I would have the opportunity to buy one of his replicas. Unfortunately, the costs for purchase, shipping, + 10% customs duty + 19% import sales tax are utopian for me and not included in my restoration budget. It is my principle to recreate all components myself that can be recreated. And this silencer is a relatively simple construct and it is no problem for me to recreate it. What I'm missing are the exact dimensions of the individual components of the muffler, which can be seen on page 81 of the Parts List 1924-1926. Of course, I don't expect anyone who has such an original silencer installed in their 1924-26 Packard to remove it and disassemble it to give me the dimensions. But maybe there is someone who knows where such a muffler can be found in a removed state.

But if this is not possible, perhaps a very good copy from an original parts list would help. The copies I have are copies of copies and are not very suitable for enlargement. Since the components are not drawn but photographed, the images could be enlarged so that the other dimensions and data could be determined using reference dimensions.

The most important dimensions are the dimensions of the two inner tubes and here the diameters of the holes in these tubes, as well as the number and location of the holes. The two inner tubes form 3 chambers throughout the entire silencer. Due to the different position and the different number of holes in the two tubes, the clocked sound waves are superimposed in anti-phase in the chambers, thus reducing (dampening) the sound. Construction and material also play an important role in the sound and thus the vehicle-specific and typical sound produced by the various automobiles. Therefore, the dimensions are essential for a usable replica.

So, I'm grateful for every hint.

Karl

k-1926 Original Exhaust.jpg

k-Muffler Skitze - Kopie - Kopie.png