Swab's build thread 1929 Coupe

You will notice I often start a new topic in regards to a question or exploring possibilities.  This is for those interested and supportive or having questions regarding what I am doing.  A thread to over time document the build and see progress.  Comments are welcome but may encounter hostility if they are along lines of you need to do it this way without good reason.

So let's get started. . .

I am starting with a fairly (I don't know the history so can't say either way) original 29-58 coupe that I traded a blunderbuss for.

IMG_2023-07-09-10-08-24-745.jpg.627b6ecf7c8dcac1e994fcb93be495d0.jpg

My goal is building reliable transportation as a period tow rig for my 1926 speedster.   It is not a restoration.  

The trailer will be another project and possible thread.  Distance initially will be 3-600 miles, longer trips would include bouncing from camping locations.  Considerations on the car build are based around these goals.

Let's get started. . .

Leaving Highland Park (north Chicago) the trailer trip was uneventful.  The headliner was torn badly but with no top above and as fragile as it was it was expected and I knew I would be replacing it later regardless.  Getting it home I was able to drive it off the trailer and get ready to start work.  As that was 4 days ago I'll just jump to what's been done.

I successfully removed the dash to begin the rewire process.  I have found it's better to just bite the bullet and replace the wiring than keep trying repairs.  As the windshield is cracked and top needs new wood at front I might as well take it all on at once.  As I rewire I am converting to 12v.  I wouldn't mind sourcing a replacement starter in case it turns out to be a bad idea.  On the dash as the fragile pot metal trim while complete is ready to fail.  I'm putting it into storage and making a wood dash insert instead.  As I must do something with the carb as the pot metal is cracked, patched, and missing pieces I ordered a Stromberg downdraft.  Once it arrives I'll machine an adapter plate and bolt it up.  Having a new dash will make choke etc a cleaner install.

This is a build on a tight budget, there are some items I am looking for, the list will evolve

Tail light/stop light period but not "a"

Radiator cap 

Door handles/window cranks

• 2 weeks later...