CCCA Museum concours June 1st

Dave Mitchell

There is still time to enter for the Grand Experience concours at the CCCA Museum May 30th - June 1st. We have room for more cars! The featured marque is Packard from 1899 - 1958, and as always, all classics are welcome. There are some terrific cars already registered, but we want more!!! This is a very nice show, in a relaxed and low key non commercial style and ideal location on the greenspace around the red barns that hold the collections of the CCCA and Gilmore musuems. We always have a lot of fun at this show. There are paved roads all over the grounds where you can drive your cars and not worry about traffic - riding in and driving different cars is one of the highlights of the weekend. We will have a seminar on working with lead in body work, care of original cars, and "Packard Bob" Turnquist will give a presentation on the lives of the great automotive designers and custom body builders that he was lucky enough to meet when he was just a young guy in the early days of the club. If you are interested in attending or bringing a car, please contact me - Dave Mitchell at packard12s@hotmail.com Katie Robbins is the meet co-chair, but with the death of her husband, she has more important things to worry about - we need to all pull together and put on a great show for her! She has done a lot for the club, even as her husband was ill, now let's make this a success for her. Please contact me and come out and enjoy a fabulous weekend with us. Thanks! Dave

RE : The "Grand Experience/Packard Invitational" at the Hickory Corners /Gilmore Museum

Let me correct Dave's "post" to this extent - I am sure Dave did not mean to create the impression that non-classic Packards would not be welcome...when he said "all classics.

If I understood what I read in the GILMORE MUSEUM web-site correctly, this event is open to ALL Packards ! So - even if your Packard is NOT on the Classic Car Club Of America's "approved" list, it is eligible to attend.

Permit me to briefly explain (as I see it....!) the policy of the Classic Car Club Of America as to "non-classics" at its events. The Club's long established policy from our earliest days is to encourage close relationships with other historical vehicle events. This up-coming event is an example of how we do this, without confusing the non-expert into thinking the Club is "approving" non-classics. For further detail, please see SIGNIFICANT CLUB POLICY STATEMENTS...Sub. Section " REAFFIRMATION STATEMENT 8 Feb. 1983 "

In the above event - the party putting on the event..is NOT the Classic Car Club Of America ! it is the GILMORE CLASSIC CAR CLUB MUSEUM. Of course this is mostly CCCA people - just another example of showing we are ALL "old car buffs", and regardless of our particular "preferences" we encourage interchange between ALL old car "buffs".

Perhaps I should be more specific - All Packards of all years and series are very, very welcome - from 1899 to 1958. All other classics are also welcome at the event. The group organizing the event is in fact the Classic Car Club of America Museum. The CCCA Museum is on the grounds of "The Gilmore" museum, but is a completely seperate organization with seperate boards of trustees. I serve on the board of trustees of the CCCA Museum, and the CCCA (club) national board of directors. We work closely with the Gilmore Museum and have a great partner there in Bill Parfet and his able crew. The two museums together present a fabulous collection and wonderful setting for a world-class concours. I hope that you will attend and support this terrific organization and have a really good time with a bunch of car folks. Thanks, Dave Mitchell

Guest Chuck Conrad

As Dave points out, the CCCA Museum and the Classic Car Club of America are indeed different entities. Like Dave, I serve on the Board of both, but they are run independently.

The ?Experience,? which is sponsored by the Museum, has quite different rules than a National CCCA Jugging Event. For this purpose, we use ?concours style? judging. The judging form and the criteria are considerably different than the standard CCCA system.

Each year, the Experience invites a specific marque or marques. This years featured make is Packard. All years and models of the featured car are more than welcome. Neither you, nor your car have to be in CCCA. We?d love to see you.

Since the Museum is affiliated with CCCA, we also welcome any CCCA Full Classic. The more the merrier!

The experience is always a great event. If you have never visited the grounds of the Gilmore Museum, you are in for a real treat. It is rated as one of the top ten large auto museums in the country. When you visit, you?ll understand why.

I?ll look forward to seeing everyone there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would mention some more reasons to come to the concours - threeo noted restorers will conduct special seminars - Eric Lavine will teach us about using lead in body work, Steve Babinsky will talk about caring for original cars, and Bob Turnquist will talk about the lives of the custom body designers and coachbuilders. This should be a lot of fun and very educational for Packard and all classic car owners and enthusiasts. Welcome! There is still space on the field and more entries will be cheerfully accepted. Contact me at packard12s@hotmail.com Thanks!