62 Electra Heater Core

jerryacheson

This thing looks pretty good and it holds 50 inches of vacuum. I'm wondering if I just didn't get the new heater hoses tight enough and they were leaking into the firewall. I'm going to put it back together and see what happens. I was afraid that I'd have to re-core it. However, I'm afraid to take that valve off the end of it for fear it won't re-seal.

Guest Skyking

You say you changed the heater hoses and it started to leak. That happened with my Skylark. They weren't tight and leaked into the heater box, then dripped out on to the floor. It was an easy fix......

I found that the tubes were crushed to an oval shape. I'm guessing that the new clamps just didn't comform to that shape. I've fixed the tubes and I'm going to try to put it back together to see how it goes. I'll try running the car up to temperature for awhile before I install the new carpet. (Just in case.)

The narrow end of a clutch tool (or some other dowl of the correct diameter), if it's the right size, can be used to re-round the connectors. First rough it out with a heavy funnel or some other cone-shaped item by carefully pressing it into the opening.

As a last resort try coating the heater core connectors with RTV prior to connecting the hoses. It makes removal almost impossible, but I saved a heater core with partially crushed connectors in my old Mitsubishi truck this way, and the repair lasted for at least 4 years of regular use.

Guest BillEBuick

I just repaced my core in my 63 Electra which has the flow control valve on the inner fender but I had no problem getting one from my local auto parts store I had to order it but it was in the next day

Guest 70 Electra

Here's another idea to make the nipples of your heater core "round" again....

Use radiator solder on the low (dimpled) areas. Then carefully file the nipple round again. (This is especially important if you're using wire squeeze-type clamps--they won't seal unless the surface is perfectly round.)