58 Apache

58Apache

Greetings!  New here as of yesterday.  Hoping to get some guidance on getting a recent purchase rebuilt and on the road.  I want to lower it a bit, but just make a driver out of it.  Little bit of a rush to get it on the road.  Hoping for this summer.  I can bag it later if I want to.  

My initial questions are...

1. Upgrading the motor.  Currently a 292 with Wayne's kit w/ dual carburetor.  I did get it running, but it has no power steering pump, AC, etc and I wanted to upgrade to...thinking something common like a 350?  My buddy suggested a 5.7.  Not sure.  

Option  1: I talked to a local machine shop and they verbal quoted 15-20k for a crate engine and all the custom work it'd take to get it rolling.

Option 2: My buddy spends considerable time picking and pulling parts from the junkyard and it is pretty good.  He said he could find a decent engine and has 30day guarantee on the motor.  We could modify to fit, etc.  Or he said I could get the junkyard engine rebuilt and he would install.  

Pretty sure option 2 but not sure which engine is most common for parts, dependability, etc.  

Any thoughts?  Thx in advance!

2.  Front end assembly upgrade?  I assume a newer front ends engineering is lot better.  Better ride, handling, braking, etc.  So would this be just finding an aftermarket frond end?   I do want to lower the truck a couple inches.  Not sure if that comes into play as far as what to purchase or is that just the way it's installed on the frame?  

Seems the front and rear end upgrades would be a lot easier with not motor or bed on it.  The bed and front fenders, grill were not installed.  It was all on a trailer.  I bolted it together to make sure I had everything.  I used less than half the bolts so it'd be easy to tear back down.  

This is a big ask.  Lots of questions, but I appreciate and help.  

Thank you!

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

• 1 month later...