Disk versus Drum brakes

I have a 1968 442 with drum brakes that need servicing. I've seen several old cars with drum-to-disk conversions. Why would one consider this? Also, can anyone comment on whether or not the typical car mechanic / brake shop is qualified to work on 35-year-old brake systems? My fear is that a highly-competant 20-year-old brake guy might be in the dark on the old drum systems. I know they still make drums today, but I'm not sure that they're "the same" as drums made so long ago.

Thanks in advance.

Fred

Discs are far better from a performance standpoint. I converted a 69 Camaro front end from drum to disc and would have NEVER imagined the kind of performance improvement I got! It was a different car. My opinion on your other question is that drum brakes are not rocket science and that a "qualified" brake mechanic can handle the job. Note that the definition of qualified is worthy of debate. I really haven't messed with new drum brakes recently (not sure if I've owned anything new long enough to replace rear brakes) but I assure you there are plenty of cars on the road with drums like yours and an experienced brake guy can handle the job. With someone experienced to coach you could handle it yourself! That's how I did my first one 30 years ago (just never take apart more than one wheel at a time so you have a "correct" reference).