Oil Filter Setup

Tom M

• 2 months later...

Since I have my engine apart and cleaning out the sludge does any one have a suggestion on what I can replace my oil filter with?

I know of some outfits but they seem very pricey!!!

Not sure what you are asking, or what I am looking at in the photo. Looks like someone bought a "full flow" oil filter adapter, and is "feeding" it thru the "partial flow" "take off" on a late 1920's Packard "standard" eight.

There is no practical way I can think of, to get into the oil galleys on that series Packard crank-case, so as to wind up with full-flow oil filtration. My recollection is that '34 was the first year of full flow oil filtering on the "big" eight - do not recall if or when they did that with the "standard" eight. (the Twelves didn't get full flow oil cooling and filtering until '35).

No reason not to use ANY "partial flow" oil filter.

But remember, many old cars, especially long blocks like the Packards, had long flat oil pans. Impossible to get all the "by-products" of combustion (grit, sludge, etc) out, even by draining oil when hot AND taking down that "inspection plate" in the oil plan that is directly beneath the oil pump intake screen.

I suggest for better engine life, you use ANY "partial flow' oil filter system you can find, AND, at least every two years, "drop" your oil pan and clean it out. If you put your pan gasket up to the crank-case with a bit of gasket sealer, and then, once it has dried in place, coat the "lip" of that beautifully machined "cast" oil pan with 90W gear oil, the gasket will not "stick" to the oil pan - and then you can use it over and over and over again down thru the years without worrying about making up a new oil pan gasket each time you "drop" your oil pan.

PackardBuff,

What would a Partial Oil filter setup look like? Is this something I can make myself or since I'm going to Carlisle this weekend maybe I can find something there?

I called the place in New York that makes filters that looks original which has a spin on filter inside. The price seems a little high at $265 for a filter.

Damn...you are rubbing my nose in how many years have passed since I saw my first issue of PLAYBOY...... See...I was about to suggest "you just run down to your nearest wrecking yard and look at a bunch of old cars...and you would see all the "partial flow" oil filter installations you could want..." when I realized even the cheapo cars had full-flow oil filters by the 1970's.

Next time you are at an auto show, look under the hood of just about any car made before then. You will see a canister with a big nut on top, that un-bolts the cover, to reveal the "partial flow" filter element. But I dont know where you would find the hardware these days.

I can't be of much help on this one. IF you could find a "partial flow" cannister, and the lines and hardware, mounting it to your engine would be a no-brainer. If you can't, chances are you really arent driving that collector car that much anyway, so you can "get by" without ANY oil filtration by just changing the oil at VERY frequent intervals...say not over 800 - 1,000 mi. and/or six months.

You can get a modified oil filter cannister for the later (post 1934 "senior" Packards with full flow oil filtration) that is modified to take a modern screw-on full flow oil filter, but i think you need to send them an original filter can for them to modify. Not sure - dont recall the advertising. Using a full flow oil filter in a partial flow system would work out just fine.

Good luck.

Packardbuff,

Thanks for the info.

Been doing some searching on the net and found some sites that have bypass filter setups that may work. I'm going to Carlisle this weekend and maybe I may find a setup there that may work for me also.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

I use this type of modern oil filter, Fram PH8A, on all of my Packards. I remove the existing oil filter cannister and install the new mounting and filter underneath, out of sight, with a combination of stell and flex lines. Filters are $3 to $4 and easier and less messy to change. Dwight (get adapter from NAPA.)

• 2 weeks later...