55 Cadillac Convertible; Jacking points and Axle stands

Andy C

Hi,

I've just bought a 55 Eldo and I'm changing the tires and doing some underseal touch up. I'd like to put my car fully on axle stands for both access to the underneath and to take all the wheels to the tire fitter. The stands I'm using are 6 tons per pair so more than safe enough and I'll probably chock with wood as a backup.

So here are my questions;

I have a standard trolley jack - where do people jack the car up from to avoid body flex? In these long mid-50's Cadillac convertibles the rockers can split due to torsion flex and whilst I have that problem (something to be dealt with in the near future), it's not too bad and I want to stop it getting any worse. So where are the best points to jack the car up from, front and rear to avoid any body or chassis issues?

The second question I have is where to put the axle stands? Is it simply under the chassis at around the bulkhead and as far back as I can get at the rear chassis before the rear wheels?

I know these might seem like pretty basic questions, but as it's a matter of safety and for future reference (for punctures etc), I thought I'd ask opinions.

Based in the UK so apologies for my use of English 🙃

Andy

Andy, your right to worry about body flex....I had somebody "help" me change a tire once and while I wasn't looking he jacked on one side of the car.....After that it took awhile for the door to close properly on that side....That was a 1955 Convertible

First chalk the front tires then,.... I'd say jack right under the pumpkin of the rear end....put a couple pieces of wood on the jack before you roll it under the pumpkin,....get it as high as you can, then put a pair of jack stands as far back, in front of the wheels, on the meaty part of the frame....

The front same thing...under the front, in the middle....jack stands under the frame just behind the front tires.....This way all wheels are hanging...check the brakes, grease the u-joints, check fuel and brake lines....take a good look at those old rubber brake hoses also.....

Post a picture of your Eldorado if you can....I have a couple of those, they are great cars!

Mike

• Thanks 1

Thanks ever so much Mike for taking the time to reply - that all makes perfect sense. I bought the car back in December and had her shipped from Iowa but what with one thing and another I only had her delivered a few days ago - I'm still finding her quite intimidating but I'm sure that'll wear off. Not my first 50's car by any means but I've not owned anything like her before.

I attach a couple of photos. She was an older restoration - I would guess maybe 20 years ago. She was part of the Charlie Thomas collection and had a walk on part in the Johnny Cash biopic "I Walk the Line". I know nothing else of her history apart from that. She's had a replacement '55 engine fitted at some stage. She's superficially extremely nice but too early to say for sure  - there's so much to check. It'll be at least a couple of weeks before I can take her out on the road because I'm still waiting on the vehicle licensing paperwork so gives me time to get her ready. 

Thanks again,

Andy

292359546_10158296295687691_5281150855032932070_n.jpg

1134_p6_l.jpg

1134_p15_l.jpg

WOW Addy !!    That's a beautiful 1955 Eldorado !!     I'm glad you posted some pictures...

Paint color is either Cape Ivory or Goddess Gold....both colors look great with that black top....I have one that I had painted a 1953 Cadillac Yellow......Artisan Ochre with the black top...

These are great cars to work on....the systems are fairly simple....tell yourself they are really just glorified lawn mowers....parts are still available too....

Good Luck !   and keep us posted...

Mike

• Thanks 1