1915 Dodge Brothers production numbers

Guest brian j

Guest imported_brian j

Question; how do you find early Dodge Brothers production numbers? I have a 1915 roadster. How many of these still survive? How do they track down and record these statistics? And last but not least how reliable are the statistics?

Guest imported_RAH

Brian,

I'm not sure how to help if you are looking for specific numbers of tourings, vs. roadsters, vs any other model as that information is not, I believe, available! I can tell you that the First Roadster was assembled on chassis #31 as a prototype. The first 'production' roadster didn't happen 'till about 14,500. In the beginning there was Touring, period!! I understand there was some prublem with the stamping process of the complex curves inherent in the roadster's all-steel body design. There were memos going back and forth between Dodge Brothers, Budd Co., and the supplier of the sheet metal having to do with tearing of metal in the dies. Anyway, after the roadster got into production the predominence was still tourings. My roadster is on chassis #21182 and was built in Aug. of '15. There are a few actual '15 roadsters I have observed and a few modified tourings with roadster back halves installed that I have also observed. I dare say there are very few roadsters in the production range through Dec. '15 remaining! I would be curious what your Chassis # and even more curious about the Body #?

Rodger "Dodger" Hartley

Guest imported_brian j

Hi,i'm at work so i won't have any numbers for you today but i can say with all certainty it's an original roadster. I can understand why they had trouble with the stampings. There are two areas that look hard to stamp due to compound curves. one area is the "butt" of the roadster. The other is the trunk lid. I think there is one of the "touring" converted roadsters on Ebay right now. It has a homebuilt pickup box on the back instead of a "trunk". And the lower rear of the body("butt")is a simple curve right to the bottom,not "compound" like an original roadster.My roadster is unrestored, has a cabriolet type iron bowed top. It has seating for two,a low hinged trunk in the rear. The rear springs curve around the shackle in the rear. The gas tank is mounted to the rear of the trunk. Its a cylinder shaped tank. The tank has bracketry for a "spare tire" to mount over it.Small doors with no side windows. Wood spoke wheels with a thin "rim". I'll send numbers tomorrow. Maybe we can figure out when it was built. By the way, thanks very much for your help.