STROKING

I have read 20-50 posts on stroking out the 425-455 engines. Since the old 394's have the same rod journal size, and all the cranks are forged, does any racers from the past know how far the 394 can be stroked out to? I have read about the dragsters having 450-470 CID engines, but I don't know how they did it, as far as bore and stroke combo's. Anyone smart tonight?

There's an article in the Oct. '65 issue of Popular Hot Rodding on hotrodding the Olds' Rocket. I'll quote:

"The all-out maximum size potential of this late 394 block is 461 inches. This is with a one-eighth bore and maximun five-eighth stroke, using a welded crank and earlier 371 rods (three-eighths shorter) to give a longer piston height."

Has anyone on the board messed around with one of these?

• 3 weeks later...

I personally haven't messed with the 371/394's. But I know a 455 with 425 steelcrank can be offset ground to handle a 4.550" stroke! But using aftermarket BBC rods and custom pistons come into play. An aftermarket billet crank with 4.750" stroke and 4.185" bore on a 455 will yield 523 cubes. World of possiblies for a BBO stroker. But then limitations in RPM range apply!