70-2 GS factory wiring buggaboo?

I have owned quite a few have owned 70-72 Skylarks and was wondering if anyone else has problems with the factory headlight wiring harness shorting out (I think the foot dimmer switch is the culprit) resulting in heat damage to the entire circuit? Most notable firewall forward. I have seen melted wires/ or repairs in this circuit about 1 out of every 3-4 Skylarks I have bought. Just curious to know if anyone else had that problem?

Yeah, I finally registered !!<P>------------------<BR>HARLEYnZEN<BR>..with a GS here and a Stage1 there, everywhere everywhere, everywhere a GS, Old McDonald had a garage, G-S G-S full!(everyone sing it!)

Yes, have had the notorious 455 hot start problem too, the remote solenoid/ buss bar set ups work fine (consistantly) if you do not mind deviating from stock heat shield/solenoid. As for the headlight thing, I have seen the circuit damaged in just a few cars, (mostly cars with 120,000k+ miles on em) so it just made me wonder if it was nothing more than an isolated coincidence.

I have dealt with 3 1972 GS cars and 4 1972 Skylarks and did not experience the "bug-a-boo" you describe in any of them. Only electrical problem I have to deal with is the starter having to cool for 30+ minutes on my 455 motor car after extended running time with a warmed up engine. New starters and heat shield for the solenoid are of little or no help. The OEM starters may last a month before they exhibit the same problem. Never had the problem on the small block cars or a 1972 Riviera I had.<P>------------------<BR>1972 GS 455 4-speed <BR>1990 Reatta convertible<BR>1990 Regal GS

I had a hot start problem in my 455 powered 37 ,and I talked to a friend that ran a starter repair shop and he said it was the replacement solenoids available. He had an old american made unit I installed ,and the problem was solved. I think there are still some HD units available ,so you might check your parts house.

yes i have had the wiring buraboo. i just re-ran the wires from the harness to the lights using the chassis manual diagram as a basis.<P>no starter problems though since i use a heavy duty starter and a thick heat shield. also have thermotech wrap on my headers.<P>john