HOT IN PARADES

WE JUST GOT OUR 70 CUTLASS SUPREME CONVERTABLE, 350, 2BBL, LAST SUMMER, LOVE IT. SINCES IT A CONVERTABLE WE BEEN ASKED TO USE IT IN A COUPLE PARADES, WELL, BEFORE THE FIRST PARADE I LET IT IDLE FOR OVER AN HOUR TO MAKE SURE IT WOULD NOT OVER HEAT, AFTER A HOUR 210 DEGS, 195 THERMOSTAT, GOOD I THOUGHT. AFTER 2 HOURS OF IDLING THROUGH THE PARADE IN DRIVE, THE TEMP IS 235.I WAS SCARED, STRAIGHT OUT TO OPEN ROAD AND TEMP WENT DOWN TO 195. BEFORE THE NEXT PARADE, MOBIL 1 15-50, MOBIL 1 TRANS FLUID, SHROUD, 12" PUSHER FAN AND ALL A ROUND TUNE UP/ TIMING. STILL 235+. WHATS NEXT 6 BLADE CLUTCH FAN? SINCE I'M NOT HEAVY DUTY COOLING DO I HAVE TO CHANGE WATERPUMP/PULLEY? TRANSCOOLER HELP

I would say to change to a 160 degree thermostat and evaluate the condition of your radiator...If its the original one chances are its pretty clogged by now. stop and go driving as in a parade will cause higher temps as the trans creates heat from the many starts and little air moves thru the radiator because of the slow creep of a parade....

A NEW 3 CORD RADIATOR, AND WATERPUMP WAS INSTALLED NEW JUST LAST SPRING OR THAT'S WHAT THE SELLER SAID AND DO LOOK THEY LOOK NEW. THE 160 THERMOSTAT I'M NOT SURE ABOUT, DURING NORMAL DRIVING, ISN'T THAT KINDA COLD FOR THE TH350 TRANS.

I have always used a 160 thermostat in my 66 Delta88 with Turbo 400 trans and never had a problem with the engine, trans, or overheating after 180,000 miles....

Guest Dave Wyatt

One difference I noticed, you let it sit and idle with no problems, but then in the parade it got a little warmer. Difference being, the car was in gear in the parade, warming up the tranny, while the tranny was pretty much unaffected sitting still. Add an auxillary tranny cooler and watch for an improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

put a transmission cooler on it...sitting in idle in park...and idling in drive..have different effects on transmission...oil is being pumped and under pressure in drive...and heating up...and the trans cooler is in radiator...thus heating up coolant and engine...also check your clutch fan to make sure you are getting enough air.

The car didn't come with a/c or heavy duty cooling so there is no cutch fan! it has a 4 blade straight fan. One big question i have is do i have to change the water pump to add on a cutch fan. my stock pump is about 5" long, where unit with a/c or heavy duty cooling is about 6" long, and if i change the water pump what other problem will i face if any. (i've heard pulleys for the heavy duty water pump are hard to find.)

but i do see the tranny cooler as being a good(nessary) idea, and will add that on. and with winter 1/2 over, i really would like to do this right in the one try