1955 Packard 400 Update!

MBL

Ok not that its a big deal but I have an update on my Pack. Well I have gotten a carb. It is the correct Rochester that I pulled off another car just like mine.(THAT RAN!) I put in a new vacuum advance line and choke stove tube. I also hooked up the vacuum hose that goes to that vac tank in the fender. I haven't looked in my manual yet but I only saw a hose going to this tank. Nothing from it. Is that the case? I haven't gotten under it there might be something under where I can't see from the top. I also got a fuel pump core. I don't have a rebuild kit for it though. I have found a fuel pump that is for a Stude that seems to be the same as the replacement pump with the bent arm. This mounting holes need to be drilled out a bit but it comes in contact with the cam lobe just fine. I will keep everyone updated with my progress.... Oh I did notice that my gear selector lever seems to be restricted in movement in both directions. It does not seem to want to go all the way up into the park range or all the way down to R. Is it possible that my problem of getting it into park may be some restricted linkage? Just a thought.

Tim

MBL

MBL,

There should be a Tee fitting off the hose in between the check valve at the intake and the vacuum tank for the Bendix Treadle-Vac power brake unit. That requires vacuum to operate correctly. Check the linkage rods going to the T-U, they could be reversed. Does anyone else have any Ideas?

Bob Bosworth

I didn't notice any tee?.... Hmmm? Maybe something was blocking my view of it. Oh and I am not using the Treadle-Vac.... I am not sure that makes a differnce. I am using a different booster/master. Again I will keep everyone posted to how that works out. What do you mean by reversed linkage?

Tim

MBL

MBL,

One of the problems I had with my 55 Clipper was just that. Some one at some point mixed up the linkage rods to the Transmission. This sounds like your problem as it was almost Identical to mine.

You will still need vacuum for your Power Booster. So you will need to put in a Tee on this hose. The purpose of the Vacuum Tank was to give you reserve Vacuum to operate the Power Brakes in the event that the engine died.

Bob

If it is only a linkage issue that would be great. I know I will need a vacuum source for my booster but just didn't know about that tank. Is there another opening in it? Or is there just the hole in the top of the tank and this is a reserve. I am still not so sure I understand how it could be backwards but maybe when I look at it again it will be obvious. I don't think the person that had the car before me knew what they were doing so this is definately a possibility.

Tim

MBL

WHAT car did the replacement booster come from????? This is important to know because some more modern day boosters have their own built in reserve meaning that the vac tank is not needed. So, r u saying that your car will not run????

how well does the 85 LTD booster work in comparisong to the original T'Vac????

Does the pedal feel any harder or more difficult tot push??? Does it mount in the same place as the original TV??? use the Packard pedal??

If you look on the Packard Panther website you can see how the conversion is done. He used a streetrod booster and mounts it in the same spot and uses a remote fill reseviour/master. I just used a slightly different booster combo. Mounted in the same place with some new mounting holes drilled. You can look at the ealier thread I posted on this subject for Treadle-Vac conversion. Oh and I have not gotten a chance to feel it out yet but will fill everyone in when I do. I still have got to do other brake work first.

Tim

MBL