Timing chain cover/power steering

I have a 1957 buick special 2 dr. I have had in the past, a '57 wagon that I added power steering to, (pwr steering of a '57<BR>super). While going to install the pump <BR>brake onto the engine I noticed there was no <BR>threaded hole cast into the timing chain cover! The water pump mounts on this cover, and on top of the cover is the thermostat housing and the plumbing to the cylinders. This top piece is missing the threaded hole. I have another cover that I have removed from yet another parts car that is correct. The question I have is... do I need to replace the timing chain cover and top piece as a unit, or can the two pieces be separated. They look like they are press fit together. Why buick would bother not to cast them all the same with the hole as an option is beyond me!?

if I am reading this properly , The top piece you are referring to has the thermostat housing ,and a part that goes out to each head. This piece is attached to the timing cover with a rubber O ring ,and will pull out of the cover. You can't re-use the O ring so you will have to find a new one

That is the piece I am talking about and I was sent an o ring with the timing chain cover gaskets. What is the best meathod for removing this piece?