40's Wiper Transmissions

Jyrki

Anyone know how to disassemble the original wiper transmissions of a 40's Buick? I'm looking forward to filling the pits and smoothing the zinc diecast transmissions to be rechromed. I'm afraid of seizing them for good during the plating process if the shafts and wires aren't removed.

I found that stacking washers on the shaft ,and tightening the nut on the washers , pulled the shaft from the upper sprocket very nicely. Then the whole mechanism falls out. You can then file and polish the die-cast ,and after plating, press the shaft CAREFULLY back into the sprocket

Not on my 46 R-master. On this one, the wiper arm is held in place on the splined shaft just like in late model cars. Anyway, it was a press fit like I suspected. There's also a tiny pin inserted thru the casing away from the shaft, maybe to prevent the wires from mixing inside the casing. It must be pulled off, and then the sprocket falls out. I also removed those brass shaft bushing inserts. Trying to explain these mechanical things is pushing the limits of my skills in English language - sorry for that smile.gif

Yes, I got it apart. I sandblasted the chrome off, drilled the bad metal from pits, and tried filling the pits with Techno-Weld rods. Those rods are 90% zinc, and the melting point is the same as the part itself - were close to melting the whole part! I did manage to fill the pits to some extent, but gringing the surface back revealed constantly new pits or pores - maybe those pores were inherently present in the casting?<BR>Anyone ever tried filling pot metal pits with Solder-It Pot Metal Solder Paste, available from Caswell?

I have had decent success on die cast parts by drilling out the pits ,having the part copper plated ,and then soldering up the holes. You then get it re-coppered and you should be good to go. it takes more trips to the plater ,but you end up with good parts

Thanks for help, I'll do that. I quess they have to apply a strike coat of nickel first, as zinc won't survive copper bath as is. It's one trip more to plating shop, but as you suggested, maybe the only way to get decent results.