Headlites

Charlie B.

My newly aquired 90 coupe had headlites that would not open or close

The lights were in the up position when I got it.

When I got into them I found that some one had disconnected the wiring to both

motors. The passenger side has what appears to be a new motor. I hooked them up and now they both operate properly except that the driver side motor runs for 4 or 5 seconds after the light is up, or down. Do I have a problem or should I live with it?

BTW, where can I get a headliner for this beauty, the one in it has more sags ooo.gifooo.gif than I do. Charlie B.

Hi Charlie;

Could have been another prospective purchaser who sabotaged them??? Unlikely though. Probably the owner.

The motors shut off by detecting the increase in current when they stop in the up position and shut off. Because one does not stop immediately but runs on it is an indication that something is slipping. It could be the bell crank stripped. This is common and Barney's washer fix is fantastic if you keep the tolerances very tight when you file the opening in the washer. Washer fix

The second problem area could be the nylon gear that has become mostly stripped. Take it apart and rotate the gear 120 degrees. It does not make a complete revolution when opening the lights only 1/3 of revolution, so by rotating it you essentially get a new gear. The rollers also turn to powder and likely are due for replacing. Rollers

Get a universal joint for your 1/4 drive, it will make the job of removing the assembly much easier. Do the slipping side first. If all goes well a couple of hours and you are done. The second side goes faster.

Headliner is easy to take out and have it recovered. Careful when you flex it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Robert</span>

Thank you for the post. As always, you are a great help.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I could'nt have done it without you.</span>

And of course thanks to <span style="font-weight: bold">Barney</span> for the complete and detailed

repair. Charlie B.

After reading EDBSO's post and checking out Barney's headlite

repair procedure, I took the H/L's apart. The psgr side motor is obviously new

but the left (Drvr) side is old and ugly like me. When disassembled, I found the plastic rollers were ground down to powder and rock salt appearance. So I

called Ecklers 1-800-327-4868 and after being on hold for about 20 minutes, I

ordered two sets at $4.99 ea. They were very nice and told me they should be here in about 4 days.

In order to be able to drive it till then I did put 3 - 10mm nuts in the gear. I don't think it will hurt them if only used for three or four nites.

BTW, Barneys' write up on this repair is excellent.

Charlie B.

Charlie, go back to the parts store and look around the license plate attachments. You should find a packet of 4 screws with push-in plastic nuts. get the smaller of the 2 sizes. The push-in nut will have to be trimmed a little before it will fit the hole for it. The original screw with the plastic top will screw in tightly and do the job, probably better than the original.