cracked windshield

Guest Gomer

driving the other day with the heat on full (winnipeg, go figure) and the person i was driving with noticed a 1/2 inch long crack in the windshield on the passenger side. we stoped and checked it out. it seemed to only on the out side pane of glass. the inside didn't have the crack on it. so we continue on. no more than 2 minuits go by (with the heat still on high) and i have a crack all the way from one side to the other.(Censored) it seems to only have the feel of a crack on the outside and not on the inside. my dad thinks it is caused by high heat on the inside and realy cold, and i mean cold, on the outside. also the fact that the glass is original. im wondering if anyone else has hade this happen and what i can do to fix it and maby stop it from doing this again confused.gif

Guest wally888

If you had stopped writing after the 1st. sentence or if the crack were just 1/2 inch, stop drilling and epoxy would probably fix/stop the spreading. Works w/ sheet metal, some vinyl( use a ticket punch), plasic and sometimes glass. I had an 89 w/ a severe chip, could see it starting to spread/star. Had it stop drilled and it is still the same after several years. But it was never exposed to severe cold.

My recollection is that your car comes from an area where the rustworm is active, frown.gif

This just might be what has happened, it might not. I have seen rust under the windshield. This rust is thick and bows the glass out until it cracks. When repaired you must have the shop grind off the rust, prime and paint. If not, you will go through the windshield in a couple of years.

It could be something else but I have seen this type of problem before. The heat would be the straw that broke the camel's back.