1990 Reatta

Guest amoparguy

Guest amoparguy

Am new owner of 1990 Reatta convertible. The car usually sat in a garage in Florida (under 20k miles). After I had the car shipped to my home (in Michigan), I had the radiator flushed and cleaned, new hoses installed, and had the brake fluid changed. (saw that on this board) Is there anything else that I should have done before winter? The car will not be driven in the snow and salt!!! Thanks

Winter windshield washer fluid. Floridians don't even know it exists, you probably have summer stuf that will freeze solid. ooo.gifblush.gif

Full tank of gas.

Guest checkers

Congratulations on your new reatta, low milage converts are in great demand. I would think you would want to change flush your transmision fluids.

88 blue/blue coupe

90 red/tan coupe

90 white/burg convert smile.gif

Guest tempest68

Welcome to the forum.

I bought a book a few years back about automotive restoration. It was by Jim Richarson (I think) that does the tech talk on the My Classic Car video magazine on TV. The book has a section of properly preparing your car for storage. (Its at home and I'm at work right now) I do recall he suggested changing the oil right before storing it, and changing it again once you take it out of storage. If I remember correctly, the concern was about the level of acidity building up in the oil as it sits (I'm going from memory, so I could be wrong).

Would also suggest a fuel stabilizer be added to the gas tank (a few $'s at Wal-Mart or any automotive parts store). Gas does not keep well for long periods of time.

If I remember, I'll try to dig the book out and see what else was suggested.

Guest amoparguy

Thanks for the reply. What the heck is an accumulator, what does it do, and where is it? If not a big job, I will change it myself

Guest amoparguy

A big hello from Attica, Mi. Yes, I did send Barney the VIN. So far I enjoy the forum very much, and look forward to learning more about the Reatta!

Guest amoparguy

Thanks for the reply. I did change the oil and filter, although I did not put Stabil in the gas. Seems like cheap insurance, so I will put some in this weekend. I thought I had most of the bases covered, but I guess that I missed a few.

Guest Brolliar

It sounds like you are the lucky owner of a nice Reatta.

The accumulator stores brake fluid under pressure for use by the power brakes when demand is to fast for the brake fluid pump to keep up. See http://www.reatta.net/brakes.html for basic info on the brakes. http://www.reatta.net/brakes/brakes_pictures.html has pictures including the accumulator. Take the brake test on this page http://www.reatta.net/brakes/brakes_troubleshooting.html (at the bottom of the page) . Taking the test is quite important even if the Reatta mileage is low. About a year ago there was a Reatta with about 20,000 miles when it changed hands that had an accident that totaled the car because the brakes did not work in a panic stop.