1973 CENTURION CONVERTIBLE STAGE 1

59Buick

Sorry to say, but, your car is NOT a Stage 1 car. I think you should change your heading to reflect this FACT. Nice try, but, do you really think people are that gullible? You have a nice car,but, don't try to pretend it's something that it is not. If it were a true St 1 car... you would have some bids by now.

The car has a High Performance 455 cubic inch engine (260 Horsepower) with a 4 barrel carburetor, turbo 400 transmission & dual exhaust ? (Based on the Press release info this seems to be the same engine as the Riviera GS Stage I motor).

Check the 5th digit in the VIN.

T= single exh. 455

U- dual exh. 455

V= Stage 1(A bodies)

W=Stage 1(Rivs)

I recall this topic coming up before with Centurions. I forget the details, but I think it was mentioned that occasionaly a Stagle 1 would be put into one, but it is very rare. If you do a search, it will probably show up. Hope that helps. It is a nice looking Centurion.

I know for a fact if it was a REAL Stage 1 it would say so on the air cleaner (unless the decal was removed and replaced with the standard 455 decal), and the valve covers would be chrome and not painted.

Anonymous, I think you're wrong about all of these engines having the dress up type items you refer to. The Modified High Performance 455 engine was an option unique to the Centurions among standard, full-size Buicks, and this was actually quite a popular option. I have seen many '73 Centurions with the "W" engine code. Buick did not refer to this as a "Stage 1" engine except in the Riviera, but the engine evidently had some or all of the internal characteristics of the Stage 1. Probably a better description for the Centurion convertible that is for sale would be that it has the "Modified High Performance 455 engine option as shared with the Riviera GS."