Top end power too?

HI, i would like to know if a 6spd tranny from a new firechicken fit a 1987 GN? <P>also would this improve top end speed as well as launch?<P>Thanx in advance<P>-Gabe

No, the newer RWD cars use a chevy bolt pattern, while the older Buicks used a BOP pattern. I think though that a Manual in a GN would actually hurt more than help, as far a drag racing goes. You need to build boost to lauch. You can do this by powerbraking a auto, without hurting it too much. The only way to do this on a manual is to drop the clutch, which would self-desturct really quick.<P>-T

so what tranny could i use for top end speed? a 5spd manual from a 82-92 style comaro? or any suggestions please! i wanna know if this is possible to have top end speed with a good launch

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not sure 160+ would be a good idea for a GN. I have heard that one of the reasons for the limiting for the speed was the fact that the G-body design just couldn't handle speeds over it very well. Meaning that handling and such went downhill at those speeds.It was just a limitation in that body design. I suppose if one added many mods to the body, that it could be made to handle such high speeds possibly.

So you want to go real fast in your GN. 160+ equates to 8 second quarter mile passes. If you are looking for that type of performance, I suggest you dig deep into that wallet and pay close attention to the GN websites. If you want to go 160+ out on the open highway, put in a set of highway gears (2:73 or lower), run tall tires (28" +), utilize an overdrive transmission, and make sure you have enough horsepower to get you there. Thats real fast if you've never been there before. There is a formula on the GSCA website that will give you all the specifics on what you need to do this. Whatever you do, be safe doing it.