Original colors of Duesenberg SSJs?

Hello, everyone - <P>I'm new to posting here. My name is Joe Kelly, Jr. I write for Toy Cars and Vehicles magazine, and have an interesting task before me.<P>I was contacted by someone at one of the largest manufacturers of die cast models - The Ertl Company - and was told that they would like to release new versions of their 1/18th scale "Gable and Cooper" Duesenberg SSJs. The current versions on sale represent the cars as they exist today - the "Clark Gable" car is red and silver with chrome wheels, and the car once owned by Gary Cooper is a two-toned gray with grey spokes.<P>Does anyone out there have a source of reference to find out the original colors of these cars as they were first delivered? Central Body (LeGrande) did Gable's in beige, with a body-colored radiator shell and full wheel disks, and Cooper's was brown. That, unfortunately, is as much as I know. Both cars were returned to LeGrande shortly after delivery to be repainted. (Mrs. Cooper reportedly told Gary that she wouldn't be caught dead in the car if it remained brown)!<P>Photos would be wonderful - but any informed input would be greatly appreciated. <P>I Thank You all - and hope to hear from you.<P>Regards,<P>Joe Kelly, Jr.<BR>route118@aol.com

Joe:<BR> Your best source of information on the Duesenbergs is Randy Ema. I believe he has the original files for Duesenberg and does the restoration work on Jay Leno's cars. You could also try the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum. I don't have the addresses here at home, but if you don't have them by Tuesday, I'll post them when I get back to work. Good luck.<BR> K. Miller<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Route 118:<BR><B>Hello, everyone - <P>I'm new to posting here. My name is Joe Kelly, Jr. I write for Toy Cars and Vehicles magazine, and have an interesting task before me.<P>I was contacted by someone at one of the largest manufacturers of die cast models - The Ertl Company - and was told that they would like to release new versions of their 1/18th scale "Gable and Cooper" Duesenberg SSJs. The current versions on sale represent the cars as they exist today - the "Clark Gable" car is red and silver with chrome wheels, and the car once owned by Gary Cooper is a two-toned gray with grey spokes.<P>Does anyone out there have a source of reference to find out the original colors of these cars as they were first delivered? Central Body (LeGrande) did Gable's in beige, with a body-colored radiator shell and full wheel disks, and Cooper's was brown. That, unfortunately, is as much as I know. Both cars were returned to LeGrande shortly after delivery to be repainted. (Mrs. Cooper reportedly told Gary that she wouldn't be caught dead in the car if it remained brown)!<P>Photos would be wonderful - but any informed input would be greatly appreciated. <P>I Thank You all - and hope to hear from you.<P>Regards,<P>Joe Kelly, Jr.<BR>route118@aol.com</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>