72 Olds 98 - Immaculate

My folks have decided to part with their 72 Olds 98 LS. We are trying to determine its value. It has about 60,000 miles on it and is in mint condition. Pretty much, they only drove it on vacations. Kept it garaged other than that. Can any of you point me in the right direction for information?

Thanks,

Shellie

Indianapolis

What's that supposed to mean? I asked a serious question, hoping for a serious answer. I have tried using things like Kelly Blue Blook, but they don't give you very good estimates on cars like these EVEN if they DO go back to 1972. I looked on several sites and finally found a couple witrh message boards where I THOUGHT I could get some help. Apparently not.

Shellie

Websites like Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds are of zero value with regard to determining values of classic cars or older cars such as yours.

The most accurate price reference for these types of cars is the Cars of Particular Interest (CPI) Price Guide for which you need a subscription. The most recent issue (4th Qtr 2002) shows the values of a 1972 Olds 98 to be as follows:

Fair: $2,400

Good: $4,000

Excellent: $6,600

Even with it's fairly low mileage, your car by definition is in no better than good condition. Excellent is for original cars that have less than 5,000 miles or have been totally restored to better than new condition - which is unlikely for a 1972 Olds 98.

Unfortunately, market demand for a 1972 Olds 98 is not very great and demand is what drives value. Now, if you had a '72 Cutlass convertible it'd be worth considerably more - assuming the same level of condition.

Hope this helps

OCA Member