Puzzling

Let my 90 Reatta warm up this morning for about 5 minutes in the driveway before leaving. It died as I was backing out of the driveway into the street and then would crank but not start. Ended up pushing it back into the drive and driving something else. Outside temp was probably around 40 degrees F. Got home this evening and checked for engine codes and had none. Put a fuel pressure gauge on and had correct pressure. Tried to start and it started immediately like nothing was wrong. Drove short didstance and did not have any problem. Any ideas??? Since I did nothing to fix it it will surely let me down again and the next time it may not be at home. confused.gif

Your fuel pump relay is getting tired.

There are two contact points. Open the relay. Spray the contacts with contact cleaner. Clean and buff contacts by drawing a piece of folded writing paper between them. You just might be surprised at how dirty the paper is.

Reassemble.

If the problem occurs again before you make the repair open the hood and "whack" the contact and it will make contact. Start car.

Or you could just replace the relay.

i had the same problem with my GMC jimmy it ended up being a 20 dollar sensor. as soon as the car gets to temp it will stall. un sure where the sensor is on the reatta but would suspect that this would be the problem.

thanks for the responses. I just replaced the fuel pump with a new delco fuel pump less then 1 year ago and also replaced the relay at the same time. I did leave the fuel pressure gauge in the trunk for quick access if it happens again but wouldn't think a delco pump or relay would be bad that quickly. Wouldn't a failed sensor set a code? Any other thoghts?

Would normally agree but the relay that I replaces this spring required cleaning 2 weeks ago due to slow starting.

They just don't build them like they used to.

Cleaning takes 3 minutes and if it doesn't work you haven't wasted big bucks confused.gif