Hard starting

I have a 1990 that when it sits a couple of days or sometimes over night the car will crank and crank and crank but not start. If I put the gas to the floor and hold it it will start to fire. After some time of doing that it will start ot fire more and more and then start. I can only turn it over for 30 to 45 sec. at a time or it won't fire at all. It's a good thing I have a good battery or it would never start. Any ideas? What could be wrong?

At first it sounds like the fuel pump relay. Can you hear the pump run for a couple of seconds when you turn the key on? Don't confuse it with the brake booster pump. If it runs, try cycling the key on and off a couple of times if the fuel pressure has bled down far enough to need more than one cycle to bring the system up to pressure. When you hold the throttle to the floor during cranking it goes into clear flood mode, which turns off the injectors. If indeed it is flooded, the injectors may be leaking, but I would think a couple of days would allow it to evaporate.