Fast Four Oil Pan

Jim Anselmo

Just a quick question.

I recently removed the oil pan from my 1928 DB Fast Four and found that it was different from the pan that I have on a second Fast Four that I own. According to the S/N's on the cars one was built in July of 1927 and the other in August of 1927. Is this change "common knowledge" or did I just get lucky? Are there any other differences in engines that people know about?

Thanks,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

You have inadvertantly stumbled onto the confusion of the late DB's. There were 5 different engine designs used from '24 to '28. The engines with "A" designation beginning in '24 series were pretty much like those from the beginning. The engines with "B" designation beginning in Mar '26 at car A-557-003 were as a result of the 6v. conversion to the separate starter and generator. The engines designated with "C" began using the 5 maim bearing crank in Jul.12th '26 at car A-708560. The engines with "D" began the series '126' at car A-831147. These had the single plate clutch and the distributer was moved to the right front corner. The "E" series engines never had an "E" stamped on them. These simply added a "1" in front of the serial number. These officially began in July'27 with 1001-065. There was some overlap between the "D" and "E" engines I have observed. These last engines had a timing chain instead of gears and a four point suspersion. The cam shaft turned in reverse direction. The distributer was brought out through the center of the head and the oil pump was moved directly under the drive shaft for the distributer instead of being fastened externally in the front of the pan. Confusing, what? Hope this helps.