HPOF class at Hershey

I am confused how this class is judged. My friend entered his car at Hershey into the HPOF class and drove in Saturday. His car is as original as one can be. It only has 37000 miles on it and still has original paint, chrome, interior and engine compartment. All are untouched and nice condition. He filled his pre-judging form out and they did judge him. When we attened the banquet Saturday evening they called all the names out in his class and he was not called. Do they not award you until you have been certified, for instance next year he will qualify or was something overlooked. Any input would be grateful. The car show as always is the best on earth. Thanks!!

There are multiple explanations for your question. It is possible

that the vehicle was missed in the judging process. Judging at Hershey

is a major undertaking. Did he have a judged sticker on his windshield card??

The judging team for the HPOF class is staffed by very experienced qualified

judges. It is possible that they felt the vehicle was not as you have

described it. I mention this only as a possibility and am not suggesting

this was the case. It is also possible there was a mix-up in the administration

process, or in the actual registration. I would suggest that you have your friend write to the Vice President of Class Judging, he will look into the matter for him and find out why the award was not presented.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update you on the judging results for my friend in the HPOF class, he received his Badge qualifying him to the HPOF class. Thanks for your reply Dave Berg. I think they just overlooked hom at the banquet.

I also would like an explanation of what makes one car get the HPOF and the next not. I've taken two different cars to national shows and did not receive the designation or and explanation when I inquired. I thought "original" meant the stuff that came from the factory, not repainted or reupholsterd "as" it came from the factory. Are the guidelines published somewhere?

Don't know if this helps but here is what the 2002 AACA Judging Manual contained on this web site says:

The Historical Preservation of Original Features program will seek to encourage owners of vehicles 35 years old and older, retaining significant original features to allow them to remain in this original condition, and to show them at National and Regional Meets. A vehicle may be entirely "original" or it may have certain "original" features such as paint, chassis, upholstery, engine compartment, etc. that are essentially as delivered. These vehicles will not be judged. They will be recognized at the awards ceremony and will receive an exhibition award. A certification plaque will be presented to each vehicle upon acceptance into the HPOF class. Vehicles entering the HPOF class will be prohibited from future registration in any other competition or exhibition class. If the vehicle is restored, certification in HPOF class will be voided. This class is limited to vehicles 35 years old and older. All vehicles registered in the HPOF class will be displayed in one location on the show field. No previous National First Prize winners accepted.