Stephen King - From a Buick 8

Now I'm no Stephen King fan, not really much of a reader to be honest. But last night, I was walking to the gym and went right by the bookstore with none other than a nice illustration of chrome teeth smile, bullet bumper, and the title "From a Buick 8." I walked in and walked out with a new book in my hand. Has anyone else seen the book, or owns it?

I started reading it and Mr. King refers to it as a 54 Roadmaster. Well didn't those chrome teeth go away after 53? I know it's fiction, so why am I even asking...? I don't know, but it just bothers me. Wasn't even born until the 70's but ever since I bought a Buick, these details matter to me...it sorta gets under my skin.

Anyhow it was a nice treat to see a classic Buick make it to the bookshelves, let alone on the FRONT COVER!

Guest John Chapman

My wife gave me a copy this weekend. Up to about 1/3 the way through. This much has made me content to live with the few harmless foibles of my Skylark... dim lights, leaky seals and no heater core....

Cheers,

JMC

Say no more!! I'm only on pg. 29...hehehehe. Mr. King actually mentions that he recognizes the illustration is older than what he quotes in the book. Smart move Mr. King!

Guest my3buicks

54 was the last year for the teeth like grill. The 54 had more across the front giving it a finer look. Although to a novice, many can't tell the front of a 53 & 54 apart although there are considerable differences. The American version has the 53 on the front, the original English first release has an artistic rendering of a 58 on the cover.

Guest Teamsterdug

Welcome to the world of Steven King! You forgot to mention the woodgrain dash and the cabin cruiser steering wheel. This is a fitting time of year (halloween) to be reading one of his pieces of work. Also, I don't think that is red overspray on some of those grille teeth! crazy.gif Booooooooooooooooooooo!

Guest Dynaflo2

Hiya kids! I am well into the book and have spotted a number of inaccuracies, but since King has put some deliberate inaccuracies in there, I suppose we can forgive him for calling the sweepspears "swoops" and talking about the chrome side-trim when we ALL know it was stainless steel.

So far, the car has been ominous, mysterious, threatening even. No outright craziness like he had with Christine, which was a Plymouth Fury (1958, I believe). If it gets wild, I'll let you know, so as to keep your lights on.

For those interested, Sam's Club is selling the book for about $15.48.

Cheers & fears!